Re: [Amel] Maramu engine replacement

Chris Smither <yachtakwaaba@...>

Graham,
    No, I did not do it myself - I had no repair manual, and I was told that the job is simpler with a couple of "special" tools that all ZF/Hurth agents have in their workshop.
   The symptoms that you notice are:- ( you can get some or all!!)

1. A longer than normal pause between selecting a gear and the drive engaging.
2. No reverse gear
3. Discoloured gearbox fluid - sometimes it smells "burnt"
4. A major leak from the oil seals.

The parts for the ZF25 are all included in what is called, I believe, a rebuild kit, which does not include a damper plate.

On the Santorin, you have to remove the water and exhaust hoses at the front of the engine; "split" the drive train; remove the engine hold down bolts and slide the whole engine aft about 2-3". The gearbox can then be removed, and taken to a workshop.

If you have a ZF/Hurth agent near you they should have all the tools, and the manuals. However, there are plenty in Europe, so if you don't have a problem, and all is working well.......

What I would do is check the fluid in the gearbox by pumping it out into a clear container and then looking carefully for any specks of "dark matter" or cloudiness. If either is there, then I would get the gearbox off and get it rebuilt.

Hope this helps

Mike

SN027