From: "Eric Lindholm" etlindholm@sbcglobal.net
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, February 10, 2012 9:26:25 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel] Maramu engine replacement

Bob, I replaced my motor with the Yanmar 4JH4, and used my original
transmission, which I think is the same as yours. I had my transmission rebuilt
as needed by a local shop. I was going to get a new trans, but ZF (who bought
out Hurth) was back ordered 6 months. It ended up that by using my old trans the
installation was a lot easier. First you can use your old rear motor mounts. The
Hurth trans bolts up to an adapter plate, that will bolt directly on the Yanmar.
The rear motor mounts are mounted to this adapter plate. The Yanmar supplied
rear mounts are bolted to the engine. The Yanmar engine mounts are on 18 inch
centers, whereas the engine beds and your old mounts are on 22 1/2 inch centers.
By using your old trans and adapter plate you eliminate a lot of alignment
issues. It may be that the ZF gearbox will mount on this adapter plate, and you
could do the same thing, but I don't know. When I installed my engine, I was
able to use new rubber engine mounts (not the Yanmar, they are to tall) and the
rear mounts lined up exactly with the original Amel mounting bolts. On the front
mounts I bolted a 1/2 steel plate on the original engine bed, using the original
Amel mounting bolts, to bring it in to the 18 inch centers required for the
Yanmar engine mount alignment. The other advantage to using the original
trans is I was able to keep my shaft mounted alternator, without having to
fabricate a new mount.  If you go with a new trans, I would not go with any down
angle, as you will have to do considerable modification to the engine beds. The
front of the engine will have to be dropped about 6 inches, and you will
therefore have to remove that much of you engine beds I believe. The engine beds
have steel plates embedded in them into which the original motors mounts are
bolted. Very strong. I was able to reuse all of them. Handy. The only thing to
have to modify on the engine beds with the original trans, is the area around
the oil filter, which comes out of the right hand side, right at the level of
the top of the engine bed. You have to cut it out in a half moon shape about an
inch.

The engine swap was actually quite simple, and I can provide you with photos of
my install, if you go a similar route.

Eric, Maramu 105