Re: [Amel] Wind generator - photos - plans

Anne and John Hollamby <annejohnholl@...>

Hello Bob,
I mounted a wind generator above the radar on my last boat and it sucked the mizzen staysail in every time I tried to use it so I moved it up to the top of the mast whihj solved that problem. I did not put any sort of a vibration mount when refitting it and the vibrations were noticeable in the aft cabin. Whether some sort of insulator would have helped I do not know. However that was twenty five years ago and generators might be better balanced nowadays.

Best wishes, Anne and John Bali Hai SM319

----- Original Message -----
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 3:55 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel] Wind generator - photos - plans

Thanks Danny. Is your generator off the front of the mizzen part way up of at the top?

Bob

SV Chara

Maramu hin #173

Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:40:07 PM

We have installed a "Super Wind" wind generator on the mizzen and it is very good. Never hear it or even know it is there and it works well. The Super Wind is an expensive model but it has some special features. It is quiet, it self feathers in gale force wind so you never have to worry about tying it off. It is robustly constructed, intended for remote locations and needing infrequent servicing. We installed it in October 09 and it has been trouble free.
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui
New Zealand

Sent: Sunday, 19 February 2012 9:51 AM

Lorenzo, what was wrong with the mizzen location? I'm considering adding a wind generator and was thinking of installing it on the mizzen, either on top or mid-way off a bracket.

Does anyone else have comments on the installation of a wind generator on a Maramu.

Bob

Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:24:22 AM
Subject: [Amel] Wind generator - photos - plans

Hi everyone, we want to install an Air breeze on our SM2000. Two years ago we had it mount on mizen mast, but did not convince me much, for the weight and balance.

Now we would install it on pole in the stern portion. Do You have any photos of a wind generator installed?
(I have no idea of the surface of the plate should have and where I can mount it). We're scared about drill our Red Passion :)

Is Stainless steel (inox aisi 316) the right material? Is aluminum better?

Thanks a lot to everyone who read me.

Lorenzo SM2000 #420 Red Passion (Italy)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

I

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.