Re: [Amel] Wind generator - photos - plans

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bob, it is on top of the mast secured by four bolts through a base plate to which the upright tube is welded with strengthening gussetts. The top of the mast is large enough without modification. We put a hard rubber 4 or 5 ml thick sheet between the plate and the mast to avoid vibration and that has proved completely adequate.Quite simply we never hear it at all.  As to the option of front of mast, I would not consider that as the top is so good and front of mast brings a set of issues.
We are very pleased with the set up, combined with two 130 watt solar panels on the port side rail beside the stern cabin we can liveaboard and seldom need the gen set.. Another great advantage is that Ocean Pearl is on a mooring with a fridge left on and the batteries are always fully charged, good for battery life. 
Regards
Danny 

To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Thursday, 23 February 2012 3:55 AM
Subject: Re: [Amel] Wind generator - photos - plans

Thanks Danny.  Is your generator off the front of the mizzen part way up of at the top? 

Bob

SV Chara

Maramu hin #173

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2012 6:40:07 PM

We have installed a "Super Wind" wind generator on the mizzen and it is very good. Never hear it or even know it is there and it works well. The Super Wind is an expensive model but it has some special features. It is quiet, it self feathers in gale force wind so you never have to worry about tying it off. It is robustly constructed, intended for remote locations and needing infrequent servicing. We installed it in October 09 and it has been trouble free.
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui
New Zealand 

Sent: Sunday, 19 February 2012 9:51 AM

Lorenzo, what was wrong with the mizzen location?  I'm considering adding a wind generator and was thinking of installing it on the mizzen, either on top or mid-way off a bracket. 

Does anyone else have comments on the installation of a wind generator on a Maramu.

Bob

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Saturday, February 18, 2012 9:24:22 AM
Subject: [Amel] Wind generator - photos - plans

Hi everyone, we want to install an Air breeze on our SM2000. Two years ago we had it mount on mizen mast, but did not convince me much, for the weight and balance.

Now we would install it on pole in the stern portion. Do You have any photos of a wind generator installed?
(I have no idea of the surface of the plate should have and where I can mount it). We're scared about drill our Red Passion :)

Is Stainless steel (inox aisi 316) the right material? Is aluminum better?

Thanks a lot to everyone who read me.

Lorenzo SM2000 #420 Red Passion (Italy)

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

I

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.