De : Nefeli <smnefeli@yahoo.it>

À : amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Envoyé le : lundi 27 février 2012 8h53
Objet : Re: [Amel] ARC and more...

Ivan,

thanks for your answer that, unfortunately, confirms the information from other sources.

We plan to run the ARC two-handed, so the issue of autopilot can be a serious one.

Fair winds
Fernando & Daniela
sm Nefeli

On 27 Feb 2012, at 12:46, Ivan Campbell wrote:

Hello Fernando and Daniela

I did the ARC in 2010 in Ocean Hobo an Amel Santorin. I fitted a Hydrovane
before leaving. We worked hard balancing the sails and in certain winds were
able to steer a course which was probably less than satisfactory.

In St Lucia I met an owner who had fitted the Hydrovane to an Amel 53 but
could not get it to work. Eventually an engineer from Hydrovane came to his
home port before he left for the Arc and did his best to make the vane work
to no avail. They had to take the Hydrovane back and refund his money.

The Hydrovane people are very good and helpful and great people to deal
with. I know other owners who have Hydrovanes fitted on non Amel boats and
they swear by them. It may be an issue with Amels underwater shape.

We had a great start from Las Palmas hand steering with the hydrovane
disconnected but other smaller boats were passing us. I discovered that the
paddle of the unit was causing drag even when out of gear. I removed it and
we caught and passed lots of boats. On a calm day we removed the whole
Hydrovane structure ,rebuilt it and fitted it again at sea. We got rid of
most of the drag so this seemed to have been an installation problem.

However the steering was not what you should expect.

Hope this is helpful.

Fair winds

Ivan Campbell