Re: [Amel] Wind generator - photos - plans

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi jose, I have answered your questions along side your text. sorry I do not have photos. I will be on the boat next week sailing to Tauranga. If you can wait that long I will do some photos and send them when I get there.
Regards
Danny

Danny,

As we prepare Ipanema for a transatlantic passage, I have just ordered the Superwind generator and will be installing on top of the mast as you did. Just a few questions:

How long did you make the tube? Don't have measurement, but long enough for the blades to have good clearance.

Is your tube Stainless or Aluminum? ALUMINUM

Where did you drilled the hole to pass the cables into the mast? THROUGH THE SIDE jUST BELOW THE TOP CAP PLATE.
WHERE THE CABLE PASSED THROUGH WE DOUBLED IT BACK TO CREATE A LOOP OUTSIDE THE MAST AND CABLE TIED THIS TO PREVENT THE WEIGHT OF THE CABLE PULLING ON THE GENERATOR CONNECTIONS
.
TAKE CARE AT THIS POINT TO AVOID THE CABLE CUTTING ON THE HOLE. YOU NEED TO ROUND THE HOLE TO AVOID SHARP EDGES

Did you tap threads on the mast head? NO, I USED BOLTS. THE PLATE ON TOP OF THE MAST EXTENDED ENOUGH TO ALLOW ME TO BOLT THROUGH

What type of connectors did you use for the cables from the solar pannels? CRIMP CONNECTORS. APART FROM CONNCTIONS TO THE PANELS, FUSES AND CONTROLLER THERE ARE ONLY TWO CONNECTIONS. MY PANELS ARE CLAMPED TO THE PORT RAIL BESIDE THE STERN CABIN. BECAUSE I WAS NOT SURE IF THIS WAS PERMANENT, I SURFACE MOUNTED THE CABLE. CABLE TIED ALONG THE RAIL TO THE STAUCHION BESIDE THE COCKPIT, DOWN TO THE DECK, ACROSS THE DECK AND UP TO THE CABIN TOP, CABLE TIED TO THE CLEAT THERE, THEN DOWN AND INTO THE AFT OUTER CORNER OF THE COCKPIT LOCKER, (THE CABLES FIT UNDER THE LID.) THE JOINS ARE IN THIS LOCKER.  THEN ACROSS THE BACK OF THE LOCKER, I DRILLED THROUGH INTO THE SMALL LOCKER, ACROSS THAT AND DRILLED THROUGH TO THE AREA BELOW THE MIZZEN. THEN FOLLOWED THE PATH OF THE REST OF THE WIRES FROM THE MIZZEN. WHILE I INTENDED THIS TO BE TEMPORARY UNTIL I WAS SURE OF THE PANEL LOCATION, IT HAS PROVED SO GOOD AND COMPLETELY UNOBTRUSIVE I AM GOING TO LEAVE IT LIKE THIS.
THE PANEL LOCATION IS TOTALLY SATISFACTORY

If you had a picture it would be appreciated. PICTURES END OF NEXT WEEK

Thanks a lot..

Jose
Ipanema SM 2K 278

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Bob, it is on top of the mast secured by four bolts through a base plate to which the upright tube is welded with strengthening gussetts. The top of the mast is large enough without modification. We put a hard rubber 4 or 5 ml thick sheet between the plate and the mast to avoid vibration and that has proved completely adequate.Quite simply we never hear it at all.  As to the option of front of mast, I would not consider that as the top is so good and front of mast brings a set of issues.
We are very pleased with the set up, combined with two 130 watt solar panels on the port side rail beside the stern cabin we can liveaboard and seldom need the gen set.. Another great advantage is that Ocean Pearl is on a mooring with a fridge left on and the batteries are always fully charged, good for battery life.
Regards
Danny