Re: [Amel] Hartman Safe

john martin <symoondog@...>

Hi Eric, really sorry to hear about your problems with your safe. We are lucky to have a Mottura safe aboard our boat. It came with 2 keys that fit behind a plastic plug on the front of the safe. It also has a plug with an attachment on the end for a 9 volt battery that can be plugged into yet another small hole behind a small plastic clip, in case the internal battery goes dead. In as much as our boat is older then yours I wonder why Amel would change to a different safe. As a side note, the previous owner didn't tell me about the key and plug when I bought the boat. I found them years later, then I had to figure where they went. John "Moon Dog" SM 248

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: kimberlite@optonline.net
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 03:19:44 +0000
Subject: [Amel] Hartman Safe

I tried to open the safe in January but it would not open .The 9 and the B buttons did not activate. I thought the batteries were dead so I made a power supply that plugged into the socket under the keypad. No luck.

The safe was obviously locked. I carefully peeled the keypad cover off which exposed the contacts underneath. All of the contacts were able to be shorted out thus completing the circuit, except 9 and b.
To open the safe you must depress the letter b and to use the "lost code" you must use the 9 key.

The safe is also bolted to a platform where the nuts are not accessible and the safe is too big to remove from the hole in the cabinetry. I had to become a safecracker (a Tommy for those who are English). I used a dremel tool with cutoff blades, hammers, and chisels to open the door. The above photo shows the damaged removed door. I am having a stainless door fabricated with a hasp and lock. Please see the attached link there are 4 photos.