From: stephreg
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2012 10:34 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel] AIS

Oh for goodness sakes! A cricket pitch is a sort of side-arm throw in baseball which makes the pitcher look like a cricket, hence the name, "cricket pitch".

Why this has anything to do with a "cable", which is the 19th century version of a text message, is beyond me.

As to a "pitch of 22 yards", let me point out that the distance from the pitcher's plate to home base is 60 feet, 6 inches or a little over 20 yards. The catcher crouches a little behind the plate, but not two yards behind the plate, so a pitch of 22 yards would be most unusual indeed.

I hope this sorts things out.