From: svsummerlove <svsummerlove@yahoo.com>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, 30 March 2012 12:57 PM
Subject: [Amel] Water Under Salon Floor

I've had two instances where a considerable amount of water has accumulated in the storage compartments under the floor of the salon in my SM. One was due to the air conditioning unit freezing up and dumping condensation water into it. The other was a heavy rain squall with the middle hatch left open.

What I've discovered, is there is no way for any of that water to drain into the bilge so it can be pumped overboard. It will continue to rise until it literally starts to cover the salon floor, soaking everything stored under there in the process. I've looked everywhere for a plugged drain hole or closed drain valve. It's just a big tub under there. There are hoses running through this area, which carry drain water from the chain locker, forward cabin and shower to the bilge sump, but nothing to drain the salon area itself.

Am I missing something here? I can't believe AMEL would design it that way on purpose, or forget to install it on an individual boat. It would be easy enough for me to splice into the forward hose where it goes through the bulkhead into the engine room, and put a shut-off valve on it so it maintains the integrity between the water-tight doors. Before I do that though, how does everyone else deal with getting rid of water under the main salon other than bailing it out with a pail and a sponge?

Many thanks,

Steve
SM 340
Summer Love