Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] advice needed - above or below 15 meters LOA

christina colclough <cjcolclough@...>

--- Luis Gonzalez Vallejo
<l_gonzalezvallejo@...> wrote:
---------------------------------
I have a Mango from 1994. In some european countries
,as in my case in Spain, what is relevant is the kind
on navegation that you are allowed for, not the
length of the boat.So , if you apply for offshore
saling eg. to sail anywhere in the world you have to
get the Yacht Captain, and the boat has be
licensing for navegation Class A, it means that the
boat has to fulfill a list of requirements , mainly on
safety equipment, independently to the boats
length.On the other hand if your navegation area is
less than 60 miles from the coast, your license is for
Yacht Skipper, and your boat is licensing for Class B.
Your insurance will cover for any specific navegation.
I have not any particular problem with the 53 ft of
my Mango. Also the harbour fares depends on the LOA x
Beam, and there is not particular charge over 15 m.
Basic maintenance , is cheaper than any other similar
boat of her length. Please let me know any other
specific question on Mango.
Luis, from "Aloysius".
,
cjcolclough <cjcolclough@...> wrote:
Dear all

We are writing to you to ask for advice concerning the
pros and cons
of owning a yacht, which is larger than 15 meters LOA.

As we suppose you know, European laws, and in our case
Danish laws,
with regards yachts > 15 meters are pretty strict. To
sail within
Europe we must have a Yacht Captain 3 exam, to sail
outside European
waters a Yacht Captain 1. Pantaeneus Insurance informs
us that should
an accident happen and we do not have the required
papers, the
insurance will formally not cover, however informally
it might (the
actual decision will depend on the type of accident.
This also means
that to sail in, for example, the Carribean there must
at all times
be a captain on board with the Yacht Captain 1 and a
second person
onboard with at least a Yacht Captain 3. In all other
cases the rules
are violated and the insurance might not cover.

There are no such requirements for yachts < 15 meters

So be it, we would ofcourse get the required exams
should we buy the
Mango we currently are looking at. However our
concerns do not stop
there. We have been told that harbour prices become
much more
expensive as soon as the yacht is > 15 meters. Is this
true? And what
about the ongoing costs of maintaining a Mango? How
much should we
roughly count on spending on ordinary maintenance?

Basically what we are unclear about is whether the
extra 6 feet the
Mango has on the Maramu are worth the extra bother,
rules, red tape
and costs. Given that we would use the yacht for blue
water cruising
and hopefully long trips to far away places, we have
these following
questions in mind:

Is the living space in the Mango that much larger than
in a Maramu?
Is the comfort - both the day to day living comfort as
well as the
sailing experience - better in the Mango?
Are there other particular issues with having a yacht
15 meters,
which we should know about and consider?
Essentially is the Mango that much better than the
Maramu that all
the extra hassle is well worth it?

We fully realise that we are asking questions that
only can be
answered subjectively. However we would appreciate
your opinions,
thoughts and knowledge as we are only beginning to
venture into the
world of blue water cruising and have therefore very
little practical
experience with these matters.

Kindest regards and safe winds,

Christina and Lars
Denmark

Terms of Service.

Antivirus #8226; Filtros antispam #8226; 6 MB
gratis
Todava no tienes un correo inteligente?

Terms of Service.