Re: [Amel] Re: Water Under Salon Floor

john martin <symoondog@...>

I agree with richard on this. I owned a boat with an open bildge to the salon area for 30 years putting up with the smell of diesel and bildge odors. Now when any one comes aboard it's just the cooking odor are whatever. I've been lucky and have never had a drop of water in the main cabin bildge. I used to get a little in the one outside of the forward head until I learned to change the lip seal on the bow thruster regular and grease the shaft. Any how, my solution for checking the bildge daily was to put the wine in under the main floor hatches.
John "Moon Dog" SM 248To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:47:18 -0400
Subject: Re: [Amel] Re: Water Under Salon Floor

Hi the simple answer is that with an open port to the engine room the odors and mold would invade the boat.

Regards SM 209 for sale in Annapolis

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Mar 31, 2012, at 10:35, "svsummerlove" <svsummerlove@yahoo.com> wrote:

Thanks Eric. I think those would be great as spares.
I'm still wondering why the water doesn't drain into the engine room bilge by design though. It's a lot easier to have the bilge pump and its automatic float switch taking care of the water, than having to rig up a stand-by system when needed. Unless one is constantly checking under the salon floor for the water level, or has installed alarm switches like Bill on Bebe, it probably wouldn't be apparent until the water got above the floor.
Steve,
SM 340
Summer Love
--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Sailormon <kimberlite@...> wrote:
I keep a very large Edson Diaphragm pump in the bilge in front of the sink along with its hoses, I also keep an electric 24 volt ,3200GPH pump with hoses and electrical cable with battery clips attached in an adjoining bilge. These would be my pumps to use in an emergency.
Fair Winds
Eric
Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite
_____
From: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com [mailto:amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of svsummerlove
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2012 1:29 PM
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amel] Water Under Salon Floor
Thanks for the reply and the tip for using the wet vac Richard.
As I said in my original post, I already know where the water came from. I just have to be alert enough to realize it's accumulating there before it creates a mess. The air conditioner managed to dump about 40-50 gallons into every compartment under there before I realized what was happening. The water was within 3" of the floorboards at the companionway. At least it was clean fresh water, but it soaked all my spares.
My biggest concern right now is that I have a boat with no way to pump water out of the main cabin in case of a hull breach. Any hole in the middle section of the hull, or any failure of a hatch or port in the right conditions, and I'll have sea water pouring into an area that can't be pumped out. The only way to get that water to the bilge pump is to open up one of the water-tight doors and wait until the level is high enough to pour over the sill into one of the shower stalls. By that time, it will be high enough to be sloshing all over the 24VDC to 12VDC converters under the nav station, which supply power to ALL the electronics. That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of... a boat with no way for incoming sea water to drain naturally into the bilge. I have no doubt AMEL has a logical reason for designing it this way. I just can't figure out what it is right now.
Does anyone else have any idea why it's been designed this way.
Thanks,
Steve
SM340
Summer Love
--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com> , Richard03801 <richard03801@> wrote:
Hi the most likely leak is from the companion way. There is a rubber seal on the cockpit side that is the likely problem. Or you may have over filed the water tank. On the Maramu there was a plug that could BE removed to drain the area. There has never been a post that I can recall about floating floorboards. When you do get water under there a shop/water vac does the job very well.
Regards and good luck SM209 for sale in Annapolis.
Richard Piller
Cell 603 767 5330
On Mar 29, 2012, at 19:57, "svsummerlove" <svsummerlove@> wrote:
I've had two instances where a considerable amount of water has accumulated in the storage compartments under the floor of the salon in my SM. One was due to the air conditioning unit freezing up and dumping condensation water into it. The other was a heavy rain squall with the middle hatch left open.
What I've discovered, is there is no way for any of that water to drain into the bilge so it can be pumped overboard. It will continue to rise until it literally starts to cover the salon floor, soaking everything stored under there in the process. I've looked everywhere for a plugged drain hole or closed drain valve. It's just a big tub under there. There are hoses running through this area, which carry drain water from the chain locker, forward cabin and shower to the bilge sump, but nothing to drain the salon area itself.
Am I missing something here? I can't believe AMEL would design it that way on purpose, or forget to install it on an individual boat. It would be easy enough for me to splice into the forward hose where it goes through the bulkhead into the engine room, and put a shut-off valve on it so it maintains the integrity between the water-tight doors. Before I do that though, how does everyone else deal with getting rid of water under the main salon other than bailing it out with a pail and a sponge?
Many thanks,
Steve
SM 340
Summer Love
TODAY(Beta) • Powered by Yahoo!
Pro baseball player reportedly blackmailed
A supposed former classmate of Carl Pavano demands an apology and a specific Range Rover.
Privacy Policy
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.