Re: [Amel] Re: Water Under Salon Floor

Sailormon <kimberlite@...>

Steve,

I have never had much water in my main cabin bilge. It usually comes from a
leak at the sink, or a/c condenser line. Most frequently, it comes from my
not paying attention and overfilling the water tank. I really would not
worry about it.

Once we were hit sideways by a rogue wave and it laid the boat down on its
port side. Unfortunately, we have the fresh air vent open and the water
entered the main cabin coming out of the vent under the stairs like a fire
hydrant. Since the cockpit was full of water we had hundreds of gallons
below.

It only took up a few hours to dry out the bilges manually.

Additionally, I think it is better to have a little leak into the bilge and
repair the leak. If you drained the cabin bilge into the engine room, you
would never know if you had a leak

Finally, in a catastrophic situation, the regular bilge pump in the engine
room will not handle as much water as would be coming into the boat.

That is why the ORC rules state that you need an additional large capacity
pump down below. In the Amel we don’t.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite