From: svsummerlove <svsummerlove@yahoo.com>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sat, March 31, 2012 7:16:00 PM
Subject: [Amel] Re: Water Under Salon Floor

I'm not sure how it's possible to "flood the boat" by putting a T-fitting into a
hose that's open at both ends anyway. Even if I did leave the valve open by
mistake, the most water that could spill out of it would be from the forward
shower, and that maximum could only be 260 gallons in the unlikely event someone
drained the entire fresh water tank taking a shower. Even then, that's assuming
that all of the water spilled into the main cabin bilge, and not a single drop
flowed the direct path to the engine room bilge for pump out. And it still
wouldn't increase the weight of the water inside the boat anyway, since all it
did was transfer the same water from one tank to another.

Steve
SM 340
Summer Love

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Richard03801 <richard03801@...> wrote:

If you tee those lines be very very sure to do it with a one way valve or
you'll flood the boat. There is really no good way to drain those lockers. Best
to keep the water out to start with.

Regards
Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Mar 31, 2012, at 11:01, "svsummerlove" <svsummerlove@...> wrote:

Good point... but if thats the case, the same odors and mold should invade
the forward and aft cabins via the existing drain hoses between the engine room
bulkhead and the shower sumps and galley. If I tap into that same drain hose
with a T-fitting and put a shut-off valve/strainer on it, I should have no more
odor problems than I have now, even if I left the valve open all the time. If I
do as Bill suggests, and also install a water alarm beside the T-fitting, I'd
know if water was even accumulating there and put a stop to it before it does
any damage.

Steve
SM 340
Summer LOve

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Richard03801 <richard03801@> wrote:

Hi the simple answer is that with an open port to the engine room the odors
and mold would invade the boat.

Regards SM 209 for sale in Annapolis

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Mar 31, 2012, at 10:35, "svsummerlove" <svsummerlove@> wrote:

Thanks Eric. I think those would be great as spares.

I'm still wondering why the water doesn't drain into the engine room
bilge by design though. It's a lot easier to have the bilge pump and its
automatic float switch taking care of the water, than having to rig up a
stand-by system when needed. Unless one is constantly checking under the salon
floor for the water level, or has installed alarm switches like Bill on Bebe, it
probably wouldn't be apparent until the water got above the floor.

Steve,
SM 340
Summer Love

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Sailormon <kimberlite@> wrote:

I keep a very large Edson Diaphragm pump in the bilge in front of the
sink along with its hoses, I also keep an electric 24 volt ,3200GPH pump with
hoses and electrical cable with battery clips attached in an adjoining bilge.
These would be my pumps to use in an emergency.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

_____