From: Danny and Yvonne SIMMS
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 6:38 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel] Re: C Drive Broken

Hi Kent, I have to agree that the flexible coupling is an esential part of the train and cannot believe the mechanic relanced the rubber bushes with ceramic. Yes the rubber wears, (I replaced mine 18 months ago) but that wearing is a natural part of the job is is doing and does not indicate misalaignment as they, as well as allowing for any slight misalignment they take up the shock from every gear change and every acceleration and deacceleration..Think of the load that would be on the coupling driving the boat at full power into a strong wind and sea.
I had to replace mine in Neafu, Tonga where there was no chance of accessing parts. I tracked down some leaf spring rubber bushes at a truck parts supply shop and trimmed them to fit. They did the job until I was back in NZ and got the proper part.
Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui