Re: replacing rubber bushes in vetus unit on the engine out put shaft

Barry <seagasm@...>

Another way to install the vetus couplings is to slice each coupling down one side, smear the steel insert with detergent then slide and twist each new coupling into position. There is sufficient room separating the two halves of metal apart. Alternate each slit of each coupling fore and aft, secure the coupling together with the four bolts. We have done some 800 hours since and this method avoids shifting the engine.

Best regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM 171

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Giovanni, hope you will look us up when you get to NZ. When do you expect to be here?

Replacing the rubber bushes is very straight forward, I did not replace the circular housing, no need to. However if you did want to it is a more difficult job which entails removing the keyed connection from the input shaft to the C drive. With heat from a gas torch this would probably be possible but in my case I was in an island port, the housing was in good order so I just replaced the rubber bushes.
A straightforward job with no major hidden problems that I encountered. My engine is the Volvo TMD 22 and I don't have a shaft brake or alternator.
The process: Four bolts through the vetus unit ("the circular box") they are pinned at one end so they don't turn. Undo the nuts. To get the nuts off you may have to leave the last few threads until the motor is moved slightly to make room. To move the engine. Amel have designed a great system. the engine is bolted to two steel angle iron engine bearers with 4 large bolts. Remove those bolts. In my case there were no wires or cables or pipesI had to remove before I moved the motor. There was sufficient movement available. But check carefully. In my case also there was enough flex in the engine exhaust system that I did nothing to that either. Anyway check carefully. Then it is a simple process to just slide the motor aft along those angle iron bearers untill the vetus unit separates. From memory no more than 50mm (2 inches) You will see when the vetus is separated there is a cross (four pins) onto which the rubber bushes slide. Remove the old ones and
slide on the new. Slide the motor back into place, entering the bolts through the vetus as you go. Start the nuts. Then position the motor so the mounting holes line up, replace the mount bolts and tighten.
The amel system in unique in my experience and makes this job so easy. In most boats the engine is secured directly to the flexible engine mounts so if you need to move it there is a major problem as the motor drops as soon as you move it off the mounts. Amel, by putting the flexible mounts under this angle iron bearer has made moving the motor so easy.
However things to watch for. I used a piece of 50mm x 75mm (2 x 3 to americans) about a metre long  ( 3 feet) as a lever. Move the engine little by little watching that it is sliding straight along the bearer. The four bearer bolts. Two are quite easy to access. the near side. the other two you have to lean over the engine to reach them. The aft starboard is the least accessible. replace it first. Do not tighten any until they are all in place. I dropped them in from the top and put the nuts at the bottom. In my case the holes were not perfectly positioned so I could get three in easily but the fourth bound slightly in the hole. I left the other three loose and used a large pin punch to to wriggle in the hole to position it. I didn't fully tighten the vetus bolts until the motor was almost back in place but I found it easier to get the engine bearer bolts through after I fully tightened the 4 vetus bolts. Fully tighten the vetus bolts. Fully
tighten the engine bearer bolts. Check very carefully all around the engine to ensure you have not damaged or  displaced any thing, which you won't have done if you did your pre job inspection well and moved the motor carefully.
Shaft alignment: Not an issue for this job. The engine is set exactly by the preset position of the bolt holes in the engine bearers.. In my case there was one, and one only place the motor could sit and once the bolts were tight that was it.

Check the bolts through the vetus and the engine bearers after a few hours running to ensure they remain tight and then for me they are one of my engine room checks I do every day before starting the motor.
Regards
Danny
SM 299 Ocean Pearl
Mangonui