From: Duncan <wdhagemeyer@gmail.com>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, 7 April 2012 2:12 AM
Subject: RE: [Amel] Ideal cruising rpm

Hi Danny,

In explaining my problem on Dreamtime II I failed to mention that on the second time I took the boat out for trials the rpm’s did ‘mysteriously’ jump up to 3000 in gear when I throttled up trying to get her to move out of the 1800 range. The speed picked up to a little over 8k, but I recall I was into the wind and some choppy seas. It has never responded that way again and I have been out sailing and using the motor for a month.

Could it be that the prop changes will just not adjust and acts as a drag on the engine. From comments it may be that engine failure is a result of attempting to make the prop respond and the drag is stressing the drive. I’m no mechanic but something is just not right between the transmission and the thrust coming off the prop. The engine is fine with no load. I have looked at the engine and the brake and it does not appear that the shaft is not spinning properly.

All this said, it seems that there is little need to ask the engine to run at over 1800 +/- for the fuel consumption is good and the seed in average seas and wind age is around 7 k/h. The problem I have right now is I need more power maneuvering the boat and when you ask for maximum thrust you want it right then, not after the boat has gained hull speed. I also see the need for RPM’s for the cleaning of the exhaust. I suppose one could go to neutral and blow it out.