Re: Ideal cruising rpm

seagasm

Hey guys, Thankyou for your thoughts, our main problem was the soot from the exhaust on the side of the hull, performance seemed to be ok and I swear by the auto prop. Hopefully new injectors and turbocharger will solve that issue. Found another problem this morning, three batteries have failed only after 18mths, typically just out of warranty, best this sort of c??p is found in a marina eh, we are venturing north from Bundaberg Australia mid April, if anyone is in the area say hello
Best regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM 171
.

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Dave_Benjamin" <dave_benjamin@...> wrote:

One night while I was on watch I read the manual for our Yanmar cover to cover. Obviously I can't say if any of this is applicable to Yanmar, but there were instructions for an engine "race" procedure to be performed every two hours while running at low rpm and before shutdown. It entails bring the throttle to full and retarding back to idle 5 times to blow out the carbon deposits. Prior to shutdown, the engine needs to idle for 5 minutes.

During a recent service, our turbo was totally free of deposit.

If we are running for a short distance, we run somewhere between 3000-3200 rpm. If we are going for a longer period, we reduce quite a bit but perform the above procedure every 2 hours.

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Barry" <seagasm@> wrote:

Recently, I serviced our turbo on our TMD22-A only to find it was badly carboned up and the turbo boost relief valve had seized closed. We have replaced the injectors and a new Garret turbocharger. Needless to say the engine is running very smooth now however, I was wondering what rpm other owners are cruising at under power alone. In the past we have been cruising at 6 knots at 1900rpm with a clean bottom. Those of you who have a similar engine, what economical speed do you find best?

Best regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM 171