Small corked cavity on front of keel - is this for a forward facing sonar ?

Colin - ex SV Island Pearl

Dear Colleagues

On slipping Island Pearl II today following our 11,779 n.mile trip I was very surprised to see what appeared to be a corked off cavity on the forward facing leading edge of the keel about 800mm from the bottom of the keel. Having not noticed this when purchasing, I am wondering if this is a standard feature of these boats and what it is for? Basically it looks like the perfect position for a forward facing sonar scanner but I was not aware of this seemingly purpose made cavity before.

Is this a standard feature on the Super Maramu 2000, or an option, and if so what is it for? Also, most importantly, how does one access this from inside for the purpose of running wires from inside?

Best regards

Colin & Lauren Streeter
Island Pearl II - SM2k # 332
http://skipr.net/where-is/boat-pages/?boatid=799