Re: [Amel] Re: Dessalinator model D50 50 l/h

john martin <symoondog@...>

Gary, I also use SMB when I pickle my water maker. I have been using it for years. I use less then the amount specified, because someone told me that too much of the product could be harmful. I haven't had any problems. The product is recommend by the water maker companies. You don't say what product you would recommend to replace it with? I'm willing to change if there is something better. Are you saying we don't need to pickle the unit? John "Moon Dog" SM248

To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: no_reply@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 12:44:04 +0000
Subject: [Amel] Re: Dessalinator model D50 50 l/h

Hi Hans-Joachim:

I am glad to hear that your water maker is working after such a prolonged period of disuse. Where was the boat located during the time the water maker was pickled? Ours was in the Caribbean and with the boat closed up, especially when it was on the hard during hurricane season the temperatures in the boat become really high. I believe the extremely high temps in combination with the sodium meta-bisulfite accelerated the corrosive effects. If you look in the pictures section of this forum under Dessalator (about the 4th page of pictures) you will see the interconnect bobbin from our membranes that shows the type of corrosion I am speaking of. Additionally, our low pressure water pump suffered extensive intergranular corrosion of the shaft and had to be replaced. None of this showed up as a failure of the system but was discovered during routine maintenance. Since ceasing to use the sodium meta-bisulfite we have seen no further symptoms like this.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Gary Silver
s/v Liahona SM #335
Oyster Pond Marina, Sint Maarten

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Hans-Joachim" <Dr.Hofschulte@...> wrote:

Hallo friends,
I would like to tell you about our expirience with the watermaker Duo 60 from dessalinator.
The wm was pickled for 7 ( seven ) years with sodium meta-bisulfite - no corrosion , nothing was destroyed- . We start the wm after seven years. We flush for 15 minutes with fresh water and then we start
carefully producing water. We run the wm for 2 hours and the quality of the water was really good. I tasted the water and I am still alive.

Greetings to all of you.

Hans-Joachim SM #436 Lisboa