Re: BATTERY LIFE, SULAJON

Alejandro Paquin

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "jfolino901"
<jfolino901@y...> wrote:
I HAVE SM #347. THE HOUSE BATTERIES ARE QUICKLY COMING TO THERE
END!
MY BOAT IS 2-1/2 YEARS OLD. SHE IS LOCATED IN THE CARIBBEAN. I
NEVER
LET THE BATTERIES DISCHARGE BELOW 70% OF CAPACITY.
WHAT HAVE OTHERS EXPERIENCED FOR BATTERY LIFE? THE 9 BATTERIES ARE
AMEL STANDARD SEALED DELTAS AND ARE 105 AMPS EACH.
JOHN FOLINO
I wish to comment our experience with battery life as follows:

Simpatico, our 1981 Maramu #94 has no diesel generator. We do have
two small solar panels trickling charge (2.5 amps/h each) to both
house and engine battery banks. The house batteries we've had are as
follows:
- Rolls Surrette, 4x6v cells providing about 750amp/hours lasted 6
years and replaced with;
- Copy of Rolls manufactured in Venezuela by Duncan(local
manufacturer, deep cycle), since 1999. Work perfectly. Surprised of
their good quality. About the same cost.

All are flooded acid-lead batteries.

Simpatico spends lots of time at dock, only charging when using power
onboard. Once every 90-120 days we equalize the house batteries.We
never leave the charger connected when away to avoid boiling and
overcharging. Our charger is Amel's original charger. Works very
well. We cool it properly with an external fan.

When cruising in the Caribbean we also use an Airmarine-X wind
generator installed on the mizzen mast, and one hour a day, while
operating the compressor for refrigeration, the alternator
complements the charge at a rate of about 25-30 amps. Never had a
problem except if wind dies for for more than 48 hours, which
requires us to run the engine a little longer.

Of course, most of the consumption onboard comes from a 12V frigoboat
freezer, lighting, radios and CD player which is not a heck of a lot
compared with the stuff on the newer SM's.
Underway we used the wind generator and the prop shaft mounted
alternator which at good speeds (6-7 K) gives us an additional 5-10
amp charge.

Alex Paquin
Simpatico
Maramu #94, 1981