Re: [Amel] salt water pump

David Wallace

Andy,

What function is the pump performing, e.g., engine cooling or....? Our Maramu has the 4154 but no centrifugal pump.

Dave
s/v Air Ops
Maramu #104
Sea of Cortez, Mx
On Jun 4, 2012, at 2:40 AM, Andy wrote:

Dear all, we are the new owners of an Amel Maramu. We are hoping to get some advice on the cause of a problem with a saltwater centrifugal pump for a Perkins 4154 engine and what pump we should replace it with ( another centrifugal, impeller ??)
we have just completed a 1500nm passage during which our centrifugal pump repeatedly stopped working. we were able to solve this initially by opening the filter, which then immediately filled, due to the water pressure from the sea cock, when full closing. when this tactic no longer worked , we resorted to self priming the pump, which kept her going for a few more days, then eventually the pump would not draw at all. we changed to our freshwater pump a Shurflo diaphragm pump, which operated for the next 6 days problem free, as we motorsailed home. we did take the old centrifugal pump apart and the ends of the blades did seem to be slightly damaged which would effect the draw and flow but not enough, methinks to shut it down completely. I will lower the salt water filter to be below the waterline, however am not sure that the problem lies solely with the pump and if I should replace it with another centrifugal pump, or go for an impeller pump............which also have their own related issues. Any advice will be much appreciated. Kindest regards Andy

Andy