Re: perkins m60 replacement

jjjk12s <jjjk12s@...>

Ross,

Re-check the instalation manual about the hose size. The outlet from the engine is 3" but you may also go larger. I have a 75 HP Yanmar recently fitted in a non Amel boat by the local Yanmar agent. He insisted on stepping up to 4" from the water trap outlet, although I thought 3.5" would have been fine. We used 3" hose for the very short distance between the engine and the watertrap. He used a Vetus MG type (the bin shaped vertical rotatable one). The engines are apparently sensitive to back pressure and the hose diameter required depends upon the length of the exhaust and how many bends it has.

John

Maramu #91 Popeye

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "rossny@..." <rossny@...> wrote:

Dave and Eric, Thanks for all the info, I now have a new 75hp bolted in my Maramu and was wondering which muffler you used. Was it a Vetus? Which model? Yanmar specs 3" hose and muffler so needs replacement.
Also...what prop changes were done to take advantage of the extra HP? Eric did you get a chance to check the prop size?
Any other tips will be appreciated.
ThaNK YOU ALL,
Ross
Maramu #261 1989

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Eric Lindholm <etlindholm@> wrote:

Dave I will have to check my records next time I am at the boat and let you
know. I think it is a 19" diameter by 17" pitch, but I requested a prop with the
greatest blade area I could get. I found that when I was pushing into the
weather with the original Amel supplied prop, that my speed was going down, but
my RPM was staying the same, so it was not a power issue, but the prop slipping.
I should be by the boat this week. Eric