Re: Batteries - Randy Kilmon SM2000 "Drifter"

Randy Kilmon <drifter01us@...>

There has been considerable discussion of batteries on
the Amel Board in recent days.
I can only add that my experience with the Delco
Voyager batteries has not been very good. Average
life, about 1 1/2 seasons. We have never discharged
the batteries below 70% of capacity.
Additionally, those considering purchasing new Delcos
might be interested to know that the warranty is good
only for batteries purchased and used in the U.S.
I discovered this the hard way: we replaced our Delcos
with new ones on the Caribbean island of Bequia (at
great expense). The warranty clearly stated that: "if
the batteries fail to hold a charge within the first
18 months, the batteries will be replaced free of
charge. If they fail to hold a charge between 18
months and three years, they will be pro-rated."
When our batteries failed in less than one year, I
contacted the Delco distributor in Antigua. I was told
that the warranty was good only in the U.S. Nowhere on
the warranty is there any language pertaining to "U.S.
use only".
Repeated e-mails to Delco did not result in any
favorable action on their part.
My opinion is that, in addition to producing a poor
product, their warranty is deceptive and misleading.
Randy Kilmon
"Drifter" (hull # 240)

attempted to
--- Alejandro Paquin <alex.paquin@usa.net> wrote:
--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "jfolino901"

<jfolino901@y...> wrote:
I HAVE SM #347. THE HOUSE BATTERIES ARE QUICKLY
COMING TO THERE
END!
MY BOAT IS 2-1/2 YEARS OLD. SHE IS LOCATED IN THE
CARIBBEAN. I
NEVER
LET THE BATTERIES DISCHARGE BELOW 70% OF CAPACITY.
WHAT HAVE OTHERS EXPERIENCED FOR BATTERY LIFE? THE
9 BATTERIES ARE
AMEL STANDARD SEALED DELTAS AND ARE 105 AMPS EACH.
JOHN FOLINO
I wish to comment our experience with battery life
as follows:

Simpatico, our 1981 Maramu #94 has no diesel
generator. We do have
two small solar panels trickling charge (2.5 amps/h
each) to both
house and engine battery banks. The house batteries
we've had are as
follows:
- Rolls Surrette, 4x6v cells providing about
750amp/hours lasted 6
years and replaced with;
- Copy of Rolls manufactured in Venezuela by
Duncan(local
manufacturer, deep cycle), since 1999. Work
perfectly. Surprised of
their good quality. About the same cost.

All are flooded acid-lead batteries.

Simpatico spends lots of time at dock, only charging
when using power
onboard. Once every 90-120 days we equalize the
house batteries.We
never leave the charger connected when away to avoid
boiling and
overcharging. Our charger is Amel's original
charger. Works very
well. We cool it properly with an external fan.

When cruising in the Caribbean we also use an
Airmarine-X wind
generator installed on the mizzen mast, and one hour
a day, while
operating the compressor for refrigeration, the
alternator
complements the charge at a rate of about 25-30
amps. Never had a
problem except if wind dies for for more than 48
hours, which
requires us to run the engine a little longer.

Of course, most of the consumption onboard comes
from a 12V frigoboat
freezer, lighting, radios and CD player which is not
a heck of a lot
compared with the stuff on the newer SM's.
Underway we used the wind generator and the prop
shaft mounted
alternator which at good speeds (6-7 K) gives us an
additional 5-10
amp charge.

Alex Paquin
Simpatico