string with foam pieces in mast

Mark Hayden

In pulling a new coax up the mast we found in the starboard side channel a string with pieces of foam tied on every meter or so. I suppose it had once been tied on at the top but had fallen at some point.

The only purpose I can think of for this is that it was to prevent the VHF coax in that channel from moving & making noise.

Is that correct or does it have some other mysterious purpose?

Should there be a similar string with foam in the channel on the other side (which may not need it because the number of cables prevents too much movement)?

Thanks in advance!

Mark
SV Northfork
SM2k 331