Bowthruster 2nd part

dimitriskrassopoulos <dkra@...>

Dear All.

As you remember I had over-used the bowthruster and I wish to advise
you of my experience with that.

After the incident the bowthruster continued to work. I used it five
times without problem 3hours after the incident the next day of the
incident and 3days after the incident with an electrician while we
were trying to evaluate the extend of the damage. I left from the
marina for the Eastern vacation without any problem using the
thruster cautiously. When we arrived in Poros 30 nm away and with
strong side wind I lowered the thruster and it didn't work at all
without any warning. I was surprised ofcource and we left
immediatelly for the next harbor Porto-Heli 25 nm away where I was
able by coincidence to moor the boat without the thruster. I
immediattely ordered the new motor in La Rochelle and they shipped
it same day by UPS to my adress in Athens. When we arrived back it
was practically impossible to moor the boot as the cross wind was
over 18 Knots and I put with great difficulty the boot with the bow
in its moorafter 3 attempts. The boot is completly unmanouvarble
without the thruster, the combination of the folding propeller with
the great distance between the prop wash and the rudder make it
impossible to steer back wards but also straight forward to put the
boot in the moor.

I was extremeely happy to install the new motor in place exactly the
same day of our arrival in Kalamaki. It took 3hours to remove the
old motor and put the new one in place. It can be done with the help
of another sailor. I put immediattely the boat correctly in its moor.

I want to express my regards to the excellent after sales service in
La Rochelle and to warn everybody that if the thruster has a problem
it is better not to approach a harbor that you know that is tight
and cross wind is expected.

Regards

Dimitris Krassopoulos
SM Alma Libre