Re: [Amel] Re: Vertical companionway door

john martin <symoondog@...>

Eric, There are 2 types of material that could possibly be glued to the door without taken the door off. One is lexan which I have used on hatches before. It comes in a dark smokey color that would cover the door nicely. I think you can get it in 1/16 th of an inch thick. This would bend enough to clear the dodger. It could then be glued to the door. Another product I have used on boats is formica with water proof glue, it is very thin and comes in all kinds of color including wood grain finishes. If all else fails you could find a furniture refinisher to come to the boat and glue a piece of teak veneer on it, very thin. The secret to keeping the hatch like new is not to use varnish. I use sikkens cetol high gloss. It doesn't look as good as varnish, but I never have to take it all off and sand to the bare wood, which causes the delamination. Every year or so I lightly sand the hatch and put on one or two coats. John "Moon Dog" SM 248
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
From: dave_benjamin@yahoo.com
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 14:51:03 +0000
Subject: [Amel] Re: Vertical companionway door

On the older boats it's just a piece of wood trim holding the door in place. Remove it and the door can come out without removing the dodger. Is it a molded piece on the SM?

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Sailormon <kimberlite@...> wrote:

How is your companionway vertical door holding up?
Mine is delaminating. I was thinking of raising it up and cutting it from
port to starboard.
I would then plane 1/4 inch off the 2 pieces and cut a spline into both
halves and glue and screw it together with a connecting board in the two
splines upon re insertion. I would then add a solid piece of 1/4 inch teak
to the front of the door possibly cut in 3 pieces and made tongue and groove
with screws and some glue.
Any other ideas other than removing the dodger?
Fair Winds
Eric
Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite