Re: [Amel] Re: Which boat do you recommend?

Look@iPadRing.net <look@...>

John,

Thanks for the comments. I tend to stay away from catamarans though they
do often have the space we would need. A very important issue is
strength of the boat. Amel fits that requirement very well.

Thanks

On 07/12/2012 02:18 AM, jjjk12s wrote:

Earl,

I presume you have done plenty of sailing with the family. I have only
two kids, now 8 and 5 (a poor effort compared to you!) but have been
sailing quite big trips (like several months from Greece to UK) since
the smallest was under 2 years old.

You can get around the lack of berth space by using the saloon for
sleeping but you will have the inconvenience. Alternatively you could
try some modification to make more bunks above the existing ones which
would be fun for the kids (maybe like the canvas ones with poles they
have on some racing yachts) - but such modifications to a Super Maramu
are very much against the grain. If your trip is long and the older
kids start to want more privacy how will they cope sharing space? To
be honest if I were you I would condider something like a 45 ft+
Privilege cat, some of them have 5 cabins and great for family use.

However, the Amels are very good value for such a quality boat and the
uncluttered deck, solid lifelines and safe cockpit are great features
for smaller kids as well as retirees... Most importantly you have to
be able to sail alone if one parent is looking after children, so the
Amel scores there, and I would be wary of other large monohulls unless
you intend to cary an extra crew member (then you need to accommodate
them). As I am sure you are aware boat choice is always a compromise
dictated by your priorities.

I certainly wish you the very best in your plans.

John, Popeye Maramu #91 Port Douglas

--- In amelyachtowners@...
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>, "Look@..." <look@...> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I'm not an Amel owner....yet. But I'm looking for your advice. There
are 7 of us in my family (5 kids under 12) and we're looking for an Amel
(ketch) that'll comfortably fit us. I've looked online at various Amel
53 Super Maramu's which look most suitable to me. However, we do need
sleeping space...that's for sure.

Amel's look like a true and strong blue-water cruiser and the 53's are
probably the length we'd need.

Our cruising plans? Well, let's just say we'd like to be able to sail
around the world in a well built boat.

Oh, a new Amel is out of our price range.

Do you have any suggestions or ideas? I sure would like to hear your
ideas.

Earl

--
www.eBookRing.net

www.iPadRing.net

The designer and maker of the original eBook & iPad Ring
The perfect stand for eReaders, iPads, iPhones, tablet computers and
other electronic devices.

Patent Pending