Re: [Amel] SM2000 Bow Thruster Removal

Ian,

In my original posting I should have said that I used the drop method once on BeBe and once on another boat. One and a half years later while dropping the bow thruster in the water to replace a prop, I have no problems with sticking.

Good luck and I am glad to hear that things are going well at Karpaz. Be sure to say hello to Deniz and "Efe."

Bill

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Ian Shepherd <sv_freespirit@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

thanks for the suggestion. I will try the 'drop method'. Corrosion
Block market an anti corrosive grease that I will use when
re-assembling. Should be back in the water in 10 days. Weather too hot
to antifoul more than 3 hours a day.

The staff there are being wonderful. Arrived 11pm Sunday. There was a
man waiting on the dock signalling with a torch, security gate pass and
shore power organised, and a warm welcome. Not like Jounieh Beirut!

Hope you are having a great time.

Regards

Ian SM 2000 414 Crusader

On 17/07/2012 04:54, Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe wrote:

Ian,

Personal Experience:
Go to this link:

More info at this link:

My guess is that sea water is passing through the foam seals causing
corrosion. When you get them lose, clean and use mass quantities of
waterproof grease at the union.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Currently Selimye, Turkey

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>, Bob Parry <ra.parry2@>
wrote:

We had the same problem on our 1990 Super Maramu. It was finally
fixed by
an Englishman and his Turkish assistant in Yalikavak. They removed the
motor to give room at the top and used a hydraulic car jack. The
jack was
inside the boat and the Turkish assistant supported the bottom
outside the
boat. It took a bit of effort but it worked. Whoever serviced it
before we
bought the boat had put a seal in upside down and the steel rim had
corroded and was holding the fibreglass? tube in a vice-like grip.

Good luck with it.
Ann and Bob Parry
Nowornot SM#33 in Brisbane

On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 6:38 AM, sv_crusader <sv_freespirit@>wrote:

**

I am having difficulty removing my bow thruster to service it. It
seems
well and truly stuck when I try to pull it out of the boat. I have
sprayed
the tube/motor housing connection with Corrosion Block and other
products
in the hope that it will free up in a few days, but I suspect the
shaft
splines may be corroded despite greasing them the last time it was
assembled.

Has anyone discovered a way of freeing up the unit without doing any
damage? The boat is on the hard (at your last haul out spot Bill &
Judy).

Ian Shepherd SM2000 414 Crusader Built 2003 Med