Re: [Amel] SM2000 Bow Thruster Removal

Ian Shepherd

Hi Richard,

thanks for the info. You say the lip seal should be flat side down which
I take it means spring side up? Someone else has said it should be the
other way round? Does it really matter? Maybe when the bow plunges
downwards the pressure would tighten the seal more if the spring was
facing downwards?

I am also wondering if a rubber boot filled with grease that would grip
the tube just below the motor and cover the sides of the connection
housing would help to reduce the corrosion problem? Another thought is
now that I am using grease instead of oil there is never a need to pour
oil down the tube. I could maybe insert another lip seal near the top of
the tube and pack the area around the spines with grease. The seal would
help retain the grease around the splines.

Regards

Ian Shepherd SM2000 414 Built 2003

On 17/07/2012 12:12, Richard03801 wrote:

Hi get the bow thruster out is many times difficult due to rust on the
spline inside the motorshaft. Be sure all of the "set screws" are out,
spray the tube with a light penetrating oil, put a hose clamp around
so when it comes loose you can control it, disconnect the cables, with
the unit lowered, push it up by hand and pull it down for all you are
worth it will come out.

Installation the lip seal goes on top flat side down one foam ring one
top a soft one. Two foam rings out side hard one nearest the hull soft
one top. Ea e and grease the spline before installing and oil the
outside of the tube push the unit up and put a hose clamp around the
tube so it does not fall out, turn the shaft/prop to align the spline.
We move the hose clamp down the tube to hold things in place while
installing the retaining screws and cables.

That as good as I can do from here good luck.

Regards SM 209 FOR SALE IN Annapolis.

Richard Piller

Cell 603 767 5330

On Jul 16, 2012, at 16:38, "sv_crusader" <sv_freespirit@yahoo.co.uk
<mailto:sv_freespirit%40yahoo.co.uk>> wrote:

I am having difficulty removing my bow thruster to service it. It
seems well and truly stuck when I try to pull it out of the boat. I
have sprayed the tube/motor housing connection with Corrosion Block
and other products in the hope that it will free up in a few days, but
I suspect the shaft splines may be corroded despite greasing them the
last time it was assembled.

Has anyone discovered a way of freeing up the unit without doing any
damage? The boat is on the hard (at your last haul out spot Bill & Judy).

Ian Shepherd SM2000 414 Crusader Built 2003 Med