From: Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe <yahoogroups@svbebe.com>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, 19 July 2012 5:04 PM
Subject: [Amel] Need everyone's help on this---2 diferent types of foam seals

All,

If each one of us asks Amel to label these foam seals when they are shipped I am sure that:
1.) Amel will not make a mistake and send 3 of one kind...AND...
2.) We will not make a mistake and install them incorrectly.

I will not be ordering for 4 years as I have a supply of the two types of seals. But if each of you ordering these foam seals will ask Amel to label them, we can solve this issue.

Best,

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Currently Selimye, Turkey

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, Kent Robertson <karkauai@...> wrote:

Hi, Bill,
I was aware of the discussion that there were two different kinds of seals, so I inspected them carefully and could find no difference.  It was time to launch so I used what they sent me and have had no leaking so far..
Kent

From: "Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe" <yahoogroups@>
Sender: mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 06:12:12
To: <mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>

Eric,

Yes, there are two different types of foam seals used on the bow thruster. When I discovered this a few years ago, I re-wrote the BOW THRUSTER SERVICE by Gary Silver.pdf which was originally written by you and Gary and posted it in the files section of the Amel website. Someone moved it to the Miscellaneous folder and it is currently at: http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/0EIGUF_yTm7js-FLlJZaHXGZjQcD6ENlTzMPgrXshX91t1Eq0y0AAGOQ4l9po9oqNdqqFxfhhLXj34gyPhZqXfV0K40/Miscellaneous/BOW%20THRUSTER%20SERVICE%20by%20Gary%20Silver.pdf

Amel told me that if you get the seals mixed up, you will get some water in through the bow thruster. I believe that you can also get some water by getting the torque on the lifting cable too tight or too lose. I know that some owners do not use the safety pin, but rather change the lifting cable adjustment to place more pressure on the seals when the Bow Thruster is UP. This adjustment changes the seal when the Bow Thruster is DOWN. And in my opinion, when it is down and in use you will get water inside if you have the wrong seal, or if you have incorrectly adjusted the lifting cable.

This is 80% opinion and 20% experience, so please take it as that.

Hope this helps.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, Sailormon <kimberlite@> wrote:

there are 2 diferent types of foam seals used on the bow thruster.

Dear Eric,

To help you with the foam seals, I have attached a drawing of the
bowthruster showing where they are located. Indeed the neoprene seals are
located outside the hull and the natural seal sits inside the boat. Please
tell me how many of each I should put in the shipment.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Maud/Chantiers AMEL Customer service

sav@