Sail tack and clew lines

John and Anne on Bali Hai <hollamby@...>

I think that the advice is rubbish. These are normally secured on
most yachts with shackles. The lines do not seem to deteriorate with
UV at least not for a very long time. If they did then we would all
be scrapping every line on the boat together with the sails every
two years. Most of the lines on my last boat were still good after
10 years in the tropics although the genny sheets were very worn.
The thing that does have to be renewed every two years is the bungy
which takes up the slack on the topping lifts as it loses its
elasticity.
One thing you have to watch is that the lines securing the tacks are
not too long. About a couple of inches above the bottom of the
forestay is about right. If it is much higher the halyard will be
jammed up against the sheave box at the mast head when the tension
is cranked up to flatten the headsail as the wind strengthens.

Regards, Anne and John Bali Hai, SM 319