Re: [Amel] Re: MARAMU BEST SOLAR PANELS POSITION

Ian Shepherd

John,

I should have added that I don't use the clamps to hold the panels in
position. They merely act as hinges. The shock cord down to the mizzen
preventer attachment bracket via a snap shackle tensions one side and
the small diameter rope attached to the same point then led up to the
inside edge of the panel via a miniature jammer allows rapid adjustment
of the angle.

When the wind gets strong I lead the shock cord through the attachment
bracket and clip the shackle onto the lower horizontal stanchion wire
(life line) which gives sufficient extra tension.

When the panels are 'parked' in the vertical position for docking, the
shock cord holds then in place as it is stretched downwards and the
panels are slightly over centre.

What I have not been able to overcome is clumsy sailors backing into the
panels when mooring stern to alongside my boat! I am looking for some
attractive reflective tape to make the front edge of the panels more
obvious. This is the downside of rail mounting them and using them in port.

To overcome the shadow problem, I have considered adding sockets to the
connection boxes under the panels and making up jump leads so that on a
long passage, both panels could be mounted on the same side and wired in
parallel.

Regards

Ian Shepherd SM 414 Crusader

On 27/07/2012 22:09, jjjk12s wrote:

I should add that we swivel our panel vertically out of the way
outside the rail not inside. If the ladder is on the same side it can
still swing out of the way but not quite vertical. It can be swung
inside as well of course. There is enough friction in the clamps that
no other means of securing the panels is used. I don't find shading a
big problem but it depends how much power you want, ie trickle charge,
top up other power source (our situation) or maximum possible.

The price of panels has come down a lot. I put a system on my house 2
years ago and now the same panels cost a lot less.

John #91 Maramu

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>, "jjjk12s" <jjjk12s@...> wrote:

Andy,

I have one solar panel mounted on the starboard rail. It swivels
vertically out of the way otherwise the angle can be adjusted to the
sun. It is easy to route the wires and a simple system. I like it. It
would be possible to do the other side too but then the ladder is on
that side and it would not be possible to put the panel vertical, not
a big problem. Doing it this way there is hardly any expense of
mounting so if you decided later to add a stern arch mounting not much
money has been spent. Another location could be the top of the dodger
but we like using that area. The number of panels depends upon what
you want to achieve.

Regards

John

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com>, "Andy" <allezaubon@> wrote:

dear all ,especially Maramu owners, we are debating the pro's and
con's of various positions for mounting solar panels on our Maramu
-the two favorites are horizontally over our soft Bimini or on port
and starboard aft pushpits / rails / stanchions - how many solar
panels ? We have been thinking ~200W to 400W. 32 - 36 cells - Are the
number of cells critical , or as there are so many other factors such
as shading, this point is over emphasized ?? Looking forward to your
knowlegable feedback. Thanks in advance , Andy