From: amelyachtowners@...
[mailto:amelyachtowners@...] On Behalf Of Judy and Bill aboard
SV BeBe
Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2012 6:05 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel] Re: Correction- Calpeda Air conditioning pump

Eric,

I bought a capacitor in Malaysia at a hardware store for about $4USD.

In the US find an electronics parts store. Bring the specs to them, if they
do not have it, they will order it. Probably about $10.

You could also find a capacitor at a water-well and pump store. A 220v pool
pump probably has about the same capacitor.

The one I bought in Malaysia was not an exact fit, but had the correct specs
and works fine. Buy 2 of them.

Or go to:
Coastal Climate Control, Inc.
PO Box 4535
Annapolis, MD 21403
(301) 352.5738 (ph)
(301) 352.5739 (fax)
www.coastalclimatecontrol.com
info@... <mailto:info%40coastalclimatecontrol.com>

They will have one for about $50. Any/all of them will work. A/C people love
to sell $5 capacitors for $50.

You can get the pump to work without a capacitor. The capacitor only helps
get the motor turning. It takes some coordination. With a screwdriver spin
the shaft of the pump at the same moment that the A/C is switched ON. It
will reach its proper RMP and you are fine until you lose power or turn it
off. If you are really, really hot, I suggest doing this until you can find
a capacitor.

I believe your description of the black tubes describes the anti-siphon
plumbing for the toilet saltwater pumps. Salt crystals do accumulate where
the small ones join the larger one. To test my thoughts, have someone fill
the toilet while you are in the engine room observing. BTW, this is the
reason that the sump pump will sometimes start a pumping cycle when the
toilet is flushed...the saltwater draining into the sump is just enough to
raise the water level which will trigger the micro switch.

Salt buildup is an indication of a leak and likely a small one. I had salt
buildup at the A/C pump hose output connection, until I changed the
"one-way" valve, hose and clamps.

The A/C pump should be part of the bonding system. On BeBe, the same y/g
bonding wire that connects to the fresh water pump is also stripped about
1.5 inches and clamped to the A/C pump on the "one-way" valve. Check the
wire to the fresh water pump and see if there is a portion about 1.5" that
is stripped. It is likely that the clamp fell off.

Hope this helps,

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Currently Marmaris, Turkey

Do you notice a lot of salt buildup at the pump hose output connection.

I also notice the same kind of salt buildup ( green) where the return
lines
enter a larger pipe on the upper starboard side forward bulkhead in the
engine room I do not know what they are for about 3 or 4 black small metal
pipes draining into an empty black metal pipe

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376 Kimberlite

I still do not get why there are 4 poles.

_____

From: amelyachtowners@...
[mailto:amelyachtowners@...