From: Dave_Benjamin <dave_benjamin@yahoo.com>
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, 6 October 2012, 20:05
Subject: Re: [Amel] Rudder cables

Graham,

Thank you for responding. I thought the same thing but the owner's manual I have for the boat mentions periodic lubrication. Maybe it was lost in translation?

Cheers,
Dave

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, "GrahamJohnston42" <grahamjohnston42@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,
Although it is a very long time since I used to install Teleflex steering systems I seem to recall that the cables are sealed for life and have a plastic/teflon type liner and lubrication was not recommended as mineral oils would damage the liner. There are no obvious lubrication points on our Ultraflex cables, so perhaps the same applies. I could be wrong though it is over 25 years since I last worked with them!

Regards
Graham

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, "Dave_Benjamin" <dave_benjamin@> wrote:

Since we're discussing rudder cables again, I'm hoping someone can offer clues on lubrication points on a Maramu. I have not figured out how to lube the system.

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, "svbebe" <yahoogroups@> wrote:

Dave,

I believe Graham's explanation is very accurate and very clear. I would add to check quadrant tightness to the rudder post.

On Super Maramu #387, the quadrant is attached to the rudder post with a clamp and two bolts. We found that slightly loose bolts/nuts on the quadrant clamp allowed for 2-3" of helm movement.

How this helps you.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Currently Fethiye, Turkey

--- In mailto:amelyachtowners%40yahoogroups.com, Graham Johnston <grahamjohnston42@> wrote:

Hi Dave,
We had similar play in our system when we bought Zephyr. The cables are just standard Teleflex type steering cables, in our case Ultraflex M53 19ft F53, and are easily adjusted. At the rudder end of each cable you will find that the cable is mounted in the bulkhead with a circular threaded flange. Simply use a pair of pipe grips to rotate the tubular metal end fitting and adjust both cables equally to remove most of the play. If you go too far the steering with become stiff. We have less than an inch play and the steeering is smooth and free.

I hope that I have explained this well enough if not let me know and I will send some photos.

Regards
Graham