SM C/U drive (engine to prop connection) oil leak

Graham Boyd

A few days ago we were unfortunate enough to hit a very large submerged heavy duty commercial tarpaulin, whilst motoring at 7.3 kts. The engine stopped dead and we made it to port by "other means".

The obstruction was cleared, but since then I have noticed a small oil leak has developed around the area where the plastic oil refill pipe connects into the C drive unit that connects the engine gear box to the prop. It may just be pure coincidence, but the shock of the engine stopping so suddenly may have caused this problem.

Has any one else suffered a leak like this before? Does any one have a drawing of the C drive unit showing all the components?

I look forward to all comments

Graham Boyd
SM140 SULA