Re rigging a Super Maramu metric clevis pins and turnbuckles

Graham Boyd

The rig on Sula SM140 is now 17yrs old; it needs to be replaced before we go to the Philippines this winter. The crossing at that time of year can be pretty rough. The Royal Hong Kong Yacht Club are doing the work for me. Unfortunately all the clevis pins/turnbuckles on the Amel are metric, not something they are used to out here, (most "normal" boats have imperial rigging) and they are having terrible trouble sourcing a supplier.

I cannot believe that I am the first person to be re rigging a SM in metric sizes! Would any of you out there by any chance know of a reliable supplier of such metric rigging equipment? Europe or USA is not a problem. I am writing to Amel as well to see if they can supply a full "kit" but I suspect they will be reluctant as they will want actual measurements. If I can find a supplier of metric turnbuckles/eyes the RHKYC can make up the rigging for me on site.

I am sure many of you out there will have had experience of this issue, or even had Amel supply a new kit? I look forward to your comments, time would appear to be running out!

Graham Boyd
SM140 Sula
Hong Kong