Engine-Autoprop problem

Dimitris <dkra@...>

I am facing continuously the following problem which annoys me very
much and can even become dangerous.

I am starting the engine and everything is ok. I can increase the
revolutions and the power without any problem. I go out of the
harbor and I stop the engine for sailing every time I am starting
the engine (after sailimg and without furling in all sails ) I have
to wait 10 minutes until the engine increases revolutions and the
power and as you can imagine I never know if this is going to happen
when I am approaching land I start the engine well before hoping
that the engine will work. I think that it could be that the
autoprop is starting to unfold but to me it is not normal that the
engine can not increase the revolutions. It never happened when I
start the engine after leaving with the boat from the harbor. I had
a technician onboard and he told me that propably this happens
because the tank was half empty and the fuel went out of the engine
back to the tank and the fuel pump needs time to refill the engine
and increase the revolutions and the power. I filled the tank but
the same happens. I even tried to pump by hand the fuel pump on the
engine but I could not see any improvement when the problem arise
after sailing and starting the engine.

I was suspecting air in the fuel circuit as I had also when the boat
was delivered to me but the technician is not convinced. He proposed
to put an electric fuel pump after the Racor filter but I am not
very keen of doing that. . Could it be a fuel filter problem?

This week-end I made a test suggested by Amel . As always you never
have the problem when you are trying to find a solution for that. I
sailed for about 45 minutes in a pretty rough sea of about 25 Knots
apparent wind and when I started the engine it worked normally. I
really do not know what is going on. I believe that it is a problem
of the propeller but I do not know how long it takes to fold and
unfold the blades. What I have done is that I furled in the sails .
Normally when I started the engine I continue sailing with the sails
in place and perhaps this speed is not allowing the blades to
unfold.

Has somebody had a similar problem?