Re: Switching between Auto Pilot Drive Units

Barry <seagasm@...>

Thank you Bill, that is precisely the reason why we are having an additional unit installed. The rotary drive is working OK having been around some of the Pacific without failure and the new linear drive will become the primary unit when completed. I have located a 25amp 4 pole changeover switch so we should receive that in a couple of days.

Thank you to all those who assisted with suggestions, I will post photos of the modification soon, in the meantime, safe sailing everyone.

Best Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM171

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Judy and Bill aboard SV BeBe" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

Bent,

This is my Opinion:
You would want a redundant drive unit if you cross oceans...if not, it probably is not necessary. We left New Zealand about the same time as 18 boats on passages north in the 1,000+ mile range. We were one of three yachts that lost an autopilot drive unit. We were the only one that had an A/B switch and a second drive. All of the rest hand-steered for 7 - 10 days.

If your passages are less than four days, you may want to chance it without redundancy and/or spares. Hand-steering with two crew or less on long passages is problematic.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "bent_jyllinge" <bent_jyllinge@> wrote:

Why is it that you want a second unit at all? From all the replies it seems to be quite common?

Bent
S/Y Karma, Mango #67

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Barry" <seagasm@> wrote:

Hi Guys, Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to you all. I am currently installing a Raymarine Linear drive unit to my existing Auto Pilot system. I have the original Rotary drive installed in above the Galley and the new Linear unit currently being installed in the aft cabin. I have replaced the existing quadrant for another from Amel to accommodate the new drive. All looking pretty good so far however, I need to know the switch to use so as to switch alternatively between the two drive units. I am guessing here by using a single DPDT heavy duty switch of 10amps should suffice. One side positive 24VDC switching between either drive, the other side 12VDC switching between either clutch. Any comments would be appreciated. Cheers.

Best Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM 191