RE : [Amel Yacht Owners] Help !!! Maramu Deck Repainting ?

Patrick Naegels <naegels@...>

Hi Jochen and all Amel owners,

About "pseudo teak" Amel's deck

I didn't do by myself, but I saw last year in Bahamas and Fort
Lauderdale, two examples of refitted Super Maramu deck.

Both adopted same system to repaint dark lines (pseudo joint). They used
a little hand paint striper : MASTER STRIPER by Embee Corporation, ref
N° 1100 (EMBEE CORPORATION, PO Box 1268 - Springfield, OH 45501-0126
Phone: 800-278-9745 Fax: 937-323-0733, presently no web page available).
There are several widths of wheel-strip in the kit. One is convenient
for this work.

We bought this tool by PEARL shop at Fort Lauderdale (US dealers network
: http://www.pearlpaint.com ) . Buy 2 of 3 of these cheap tools.

You have to roll this tool slowly and with caution to make a proper
strip. Happily, dark lines are in troughs on deck. This makes rolling
easier. Clean as soon as possible smudges with rag and solvent.

A Super Maramu deck is a 2 weeks work, but working only AM. It's too
hard to do that all day long (sun and knees …).

One of these Super Maramu was refitted with black lines. This not very
happy. Contrast is too hard. The other one was treated with a paint very
close to the original, and result is very good.

This is an epoxy 2 components paint : SHERWIN- WILLIAM Company, colour
SABLE ref SW6083 (+ - 110$ gal) http://www.sherwin-williams.com

After almost 4 years under the sun, dark lines of our deck are beginning
to disappear (except cockpit wich is permanently covered by sprayhood +
extension sun awning). This phenomena is not regular. Some areas are
more affected than others. We probably have to consider a deck refit in
2 or 3 years. Better late than ...now

Best regards.

Patrick Naegels
Caramel SM329