Re: old Maramu - considering painted bulkheads in toilet compartments
Dave;toggle quoted message Show quoted text
We decided to change all the headliner and original material on the boat. It is a dreadful job. Joel Potter wrote on this sometime ago and issued some stern warnings.
We discovered that the surface is highly irregular and "transparent" in some places. The material we used now has a light padding, hopefully it will last 15 more years and never need replacing again in my lifetime. I doubt painting is an option.
In the cockpit and aft cabin the new liner is now "floating", not glued directly to the surface. We used thin strips of wood as a base, screwed to the fiberglass using short SS screws. The liner is SS stapled to these strips in a way that we used the original wood trimming to conceal the staples. This is all hard work and requires lots of patience and detail. It is important to note that we also replaced all the crazed plexiglass in all hatches and side port lights, which requires the inside plywood panels to be removed as well. These cover the headliner edges around the port lights.
Now the heads: we will apply a more neutral gelcoat in the floor pans and will change the green and orange carpet lining the shelves. We also changed the formica on the shelve cover panel. believe me this is a huge project and has consumed 6 months.
Amel Maramu #94, 1981
--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Dave_Benjamin" <dave_benjamin@...> wrote: