[Amel] Re: Pacific Islands to New Zealand

jjjk12s <jjjk12s@...>

Danny,

Yes, it was an open question. Thanks for your reply. The difficulty in planning from here is going "uphill" to get to the Pacific islands. I have looked at a few possible routes and your comments are helpful. I think I have just about ruled out heading east from NZ and then up to French Polynesia.

I would consider the wife and children flying on a potentially more difficult trip like between Tonga and NZ which would mean friends or crew to help. It is helpful to spread worth of mouth about experienced people who may be available for deliveries in this area.

Regards

John Popeye maramu #91

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi John,
this is a pretty wide open question. All the Pacific Islands are worth a visit, from the tiny uninhabited to the larger more "developed". We had the advantage of coming in from the Pacific crossing to the Marqueses so we had it all laid out before us. Boats have often gone from NZ to Tahiti but it can be hard work. For a one season voyage, Tonga is marvelous, Nukualofa a good starting point, the Ha'apai are breathtaking,corals and fish life that are so good, the Vava'u group amazingly sheltered and both have whales galore.
You could spend a season there. Fiji is different but still quite remarkable, hundreds of islands to visit. Some of the best dive sites in the world. For one season. Tonga and Fiji would keep you fully occupied and you wouldn't get anywhere near seeing it all. Fiji has marinas that have just successfully withstood hurricane Evan with 200km plus winds.. In one season you would not explore all that Fiji and Tonga have to offer.. Start in the South of Tonga, work your way to the North, then across to Fiji. In Fiji the options are endless. But wherever you are in the Pacific Islands be aware of unmarked or mismarked coral reefs, never let your guard down.
Hope this helps
Regards
Danny
SM299 Ocean Pearl
Currently at our home port, Mangonui New Zealand