Re: [Amel] Waste gate valve on Volvo TMD22 stuck and lever now sheared

Germain Jean-Pierre

Which Volvo is it? If it is the TMD 20, it is based on a Perkins and parts are available cheaply online as these engines were in Ford vans etc.

Good luck

Jean-Pierre
No Amel yet!

On 7 Jan 2013, at 06:56, Graham wrote:

Following Volvo service manual requires the waste gate on the turbo to be checked for movement. Last year it was stuck. Wd40 and a couple of days thinking about it had it freed off. This year I just went straight for WD40 and left it for a day or so. When I tried to move it it was stiff but freed off easily ......or not ....I had sheared the the shaft going into the turbo.

Questions:

Has any one else done this and been able to weld the lever back on.?

If not is this just the most expensive "wielding of a spanner" of my life?

Has any one replaced the turbo on a this Volvo with the a Garrett part rather than the extremely expensive Volvo part, if so what was the part number?

I look forward to any comments.

Graham Boyd
SM140 Sula
Hong Kong