Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Water maker lay-up

john martin <symoondog@...>

David,
Its a very simple process to pickle your water maker. The object is to circulate a solution through your system to eliminate the possibility of bacteria while you are not using the unit. To do this you mix a 1/4 cup ( 2 ozs.) of sodium bisulphate in a bucket of pure water (2 1/2 gallons). If you need to protect from freezing, add 2 litres of glycerine. Then you flush your system with fresh water the usual way for about 5 minutes. Cut off the main salt water intake. Disconect the intake hose of the water maker at the filter on the water maker maker side. Put this hose in the bucket. Take off the outlet hose (discharge) and put it into the bucket. Turn on the water maker at the panel. ( switch only) The unit will now suck the solution out of the bucket through the system and back into the bucket. Do this for 10 minutes reconnect the hoses and you are done. To turn the unit back on in the future, simply flush with fresh water for about 10 minutes and you are ready to go. Now to explain the hard part. You will notice that the intake hose is not long enough to reach into the bucket. add a 3 or 4 ft. piece of hose, put them together with a hose barb. You'll have trouble finding the outlet hose. Its on the port side up high and discharges overboard probally with your bildge pump hose.It comes off of the control unit in the galley, so it will be coming down from above. This hose also won't reach the bucket. I just hang the bucket up with a piece of rope, or you can add a piece of hose. Hope this helps you out. The entire process should take about 1 hour once you get everything sorted out. John Martin
"Monndog" sm248
Reply-To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Water maker lay-up
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:17:09 -0000

Now we are back in the UK where fresh water is free and readily
available I want to put our water maker to bed - for the winter and
long term.
The instructions I have are very unclear. Can someone advise me on
what the best method is for 'laying-up' the water maker? Presumably
it will need sterilzing and protection against freezing? Our is the
24V 50l/hr model.
Thanks,
David

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.