Re: Maramu access to forward part of engine

Alejandro Paquin

Dear Andy;
You can remove the engine without removing the dodger. We did remove our dodger to do maintenance on the gelcoat etc. We replaced the conpanionway door because for that you do need to remove the dodger.
Removing the engine cover is easy.
If you have access to a winch, or a negative forklift at the dock it will be easy.
We eneded up replacing the engine for a Yanmar
We┬┤ve thought about that door in the corridor. I think you must buy a watertight door from someone like Vetus etc.
Regards,
Alex

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Andy" wrote:

Dear Maramu owners,

We have the original Perkins 4154 engine on our Maramu which has developed a leak , as far as I can tell from a failed gasket - in the forward part of the engine.

My question is how to access this area, I can just about squeeze in over the starboard side but that is it. Is there a better way ??

We're even thinking of cutting an access opening from the forward part of the internal corridor ( linking saloon to aft cabin) to the engine room.

We are prepapared to lift the engine out to replace gasket and carry out any other maintenance tasks , do we have to remove the hard dodger to lift it out ??

The access hatch would remain if we need to access the forward part of the engine at a later date.

Your thoughts, experience and ideas much appreciated.

Kindest regards

Andy