Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Water maker lay-up

David Crisp

Many thanks John,I'll give it a go.
David

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "john martin"
<symoondog@h...> wrote:
David,
In addition to the information I gave you about
winterizing your
watermaker, I forgot to mention that if you lay your Amel up in
extreame
cold, you may also want to winterize all of your salt water
intakes. This is
easily done by getting a couple of gallons of anti-freeze ( the
enviomental
type). Turn off your salt water intake, and take off the top of
the filter.
I call this the sea chest. Start your engine, and when all the
water is
gone, pour in the anti-freeze. When you see the anti-freeze coming
out of
the exaust, shut off the engine. Do the same thing for the
generator. With
the sea chest full of anti-freeze turn on each toilet until the
anti-freeze
goes in the toilet and out the discharge. If your anchor wash is
connected
to the same sea chest, run that also. Make sure the anti-freeze is
not only
enviomental friendly but non corrosive for aluminum, and rubber,
i.e. your
impeller and toilet parts. If you run your charger all the time,
it
generates enough heat to keep the engine room a little warm, but I
allways
turn off my charger and main battery bank when I leave the boat
for any
time. The bildge pump is wired direct to the batteries, so cutting
off the
main switch doesn't effect it, and if you do a proper job storing
your Amel
you won't need a bildge pump anyhow. If you leave the switch on,
then the
computers,clocks, etc. will eventully run the batteries down. This
also can
tell you if your batteries are going bad. I can leave my boat for
months
with no charger on and when I get back the batteries are still at
100% . If
I come back and they're at 90% they're gone. Regards John
'Moondog" SM 248
From: "john martin" <symoondog@h...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: RE: "Monndog" sm248
From: "davidcrisp" <david@f...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Water maker lay-up
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 10:17:09 -0000

Now we are back in the UK where fresh water is free and readily
available I want to put our water maker to bed - for the winter
and
long term.
The instructions I have are very unclear. Can someone advise
me on
what the best method is for 'laying-up' the water maker?
Presumably
it will need sterilzing and protection against freezing? Our
is the
24V 50l/hr model.
Thanks,
David
Express yourself instantly with MSN Messenger! Download today -
it's FREE!
Check out Election 2004 for up-to-date election news, plus voter
tools and