Re: Maramu access to forward part of engine

sbmesasailor

You didn't mention if it was a coolant or oil leak.  If it is a coolant leak, you need only remove the water pump and rebuild it (the water pump is designed to leak at a shaft seal before it seizes).  There is sufficient access to remove the water pump by removing just the engine alternator and raw water pump (sometimes you'll need to be on your right side and sometimes on your left).  You need to be a bit of a gymnast but I did it in my mid-50's.  Be sure to use PB Blaster to loosen those corroded bolts!

If it is an oil leak, that is an engine removal repair and depending on the hours of the engine, it may make sense to repower.

Dennis Johns
s/v Libertad
Maramu #121