From: Ann-Sofie Svanberg <kanalmamman@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2013 9:38 AM
Subject: RE: [Amel] Re: Power generators / Cockpit roof

Hi Kent,
    the height under the fixed bimini roof is 1.80m in the front and    1.84m close to the missen based on a laminate that is 20mm thick    based on 15mm Divinycell core and GRP layers on each side. We    mounted teak core where we needed to mount things so the screws    could get a good grip.
    Regarding our mainsail we have done nothing, we have a laminated    material and the design is the based on the standard measurements    giving us no problems in using the furling functionality.
    Using the Raymarine Auto Pilot with self learning functionality you    could influence the reaction time and sensitivity of the Autopilot    which results in a dramatically less power consumption. We bought    our unit 2007/8 and we know that later units have been improved from    this angle. The first to do is starting to use the Sensitivity    factor that you adjust on the instrument in the cockpit. This    combined with sailing on wind angle instead of using magnetic course    is making a difference.

    I do agree with you that despite a similar amount of milage under    the SM keel you learn every day and the respect for the late Mr Amel    grows day by day (from a high position from the beginning).

    All the best,

    Ann-Sofie and Jonas
To: amelyachtowners@...
From: karkauai@...
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 13:30:38 -0500
Subject: Re: [Amel] Re: Power generators

      Very nice, Ann-Sofie.  Another question...Did raising the standing height in the cockpit require that the boom could not be pulled down as far?  Did you have to recut the main sail? If the boom can no longer be brought down to a position perpendicular to the main, does the mainsail furl smoothly?

On Kristy (SM243) I have to ease the main a bit to open or stow the dodger extension that covers the cockpit.  I would like to raise the headroom in my cockpit but am not sure there is room below the boom.

I am impressed with the efficiency of the water-cooled and reinsulated fridges.  That looks like a modification worth doing.

How do you adjust your autopilot in different conditions to make it more efficient?  That's something I never considered.

I LOVE this forum!  Even with 20K+ nm under my keel I still feel like a rank beginner with an enormous amount to learn.  Thais again to all for sharing!

Kent

SM243

Kristy
On Jan 27, 2013, at 11:04 AM, Ann-Sofie Svanberg kanalmamman@...> wrote:

Hi Danny
If you check the album Lady Annila, you will find some pictures of our fixed roof over the cockpit.
To protect us from wind, rain and chilly weather we have a zipper going around the whole roof that we connect 10 panels to, with big windows. If we have all of them closed we are very well protected from the weather. We can take all or some of the panels down. It is free of choice.
The roof is constructed so that you can stand up and navigate and beeing able to see over the cockpit.
The inside hasn't got the final finish yet. But we have mounted a LED tape on the sieling that we adjust with a dimmer.
Regards
Annsofie,
Lady Annila, SM 233
Skickat från min iPad
27 jan 2013 kl. 04:00 skrev "Danny and Yvonne SIMMS" simms@...>:
Hi Ann, would be interested to see photos of your hard top.
Regards
Danny
SM299 Ocean Pearl
Currently home port Mangonui