Re: [Amel] Re: Refrigeration Cooling

Steve Constantine <svsummerlove@...>

Hi Kent,

On Summer Love SM340, there's an inspection access cover for the fresh water tank underneath the blue galley floorboard between the fridge and the washing machine.  You remove this floorboard by lifting the hinged floorboard in front of the washing machine, reaching underneath the galley floorboard and unscrewing a single knob-bolt.  After lifting this floorboard, you'll find (along with every crumb that has fallen onto the galley floor for the last 10 years) a varnished board held by two long threaded rods with nuts & washers, which clamp a fiberglass panel to the inside top of the tank.  Loosen the nuts, but leave at least one of them on the rod, or you'll drop the fiberglass panel and the rods into the tank (the rods are long, so you can maneuver the panel clear without having to remove both of the nuts).  There's an oval rubber sealing gasket between the panel and the inside of the tank lid, but it will not fall off as long as one rod still
connects the panel to the varnished board.  After you get this contraption clear, you'll be looking into the 3rd of 4 partitioned tank sections.  DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE LOOK INTO THE TANK, or you'll then have to drop what you're doing to steam-clean and decontaminate it before you're ever allowed to sleep again!  

Reassembly is straight forward, except that you may need a few clamps to contact cement the gasket back onto the fiberglass panel.  If it's loose, it's a real challenge to get it into the right spot to ensure a proper seal while you re-tighten the nuts.

I think there are supposed to be inspection covers on all four tank partitions, but this is by far the easiest to get at.  An added bonus is you can check your keel bolts at the bottom of the tank.

Good luck,

Steve
Summer Love
SM340
Currently in Grenada

Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:18 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel] Re: Refrigeration Cooling

Was wondering about how I'd get access to the tank. Thanks Gene.
Kent
On Jan 29, 2013, at 9:05 PM, Gene Carter geneccarter@yahoo.com> wrote:

I have been using a Isotherm water cooled unit using my on-board water supply for the past 12 years.

NO Issues and eliminated salt water pump issues.

We filter water into the tank and have a filter on drinking water.

I taped into the water fill pipe for return taped into foot pump for pickup

Stargazer Amel sharki 135

Go Sailing

Gene C Carter
PO Box 895
Blaine WA 98231
Cell (360) 815-5388

Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Amel] Re: Refrigeration Cooling

Tha is again for your thoughts, Craig. Right now I have air cooled fridges. When I'm ready to set sail again I'm going to do this mod, add some solar panels and a wind generator. Already about half way through the transition to all LEDs.
Where are you and Katherine now?
Kent
SM 2;3
Kristy

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 29, 2013, at 6:39 PM, "sv Sangaris" sangaris@aol.com> wrote:

Hi Kent,

Well, if you've been sucking up sea water to cool the refrigerant with no problem other than the occasional jelly fish, I rather think switching to pure tank water would be, if anything, hugely less problematical and would not require any filtration at all.

Don't know the exact pump flow of your boat in gph, but with -what? - a 200-ish gallon tank in your SM, I can't imagine any problem whatsoever - it ain't gonna overheat. Also, the intake from our tanks is a couple of inches off the bottom - ain't gonna suck air. (Halekai didn't have a keel tank, but that's not germane to our Amels where it's no problemo.)

Keep it simple, forget valves and filters, and just go for it!

Cheers, Craig

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, Kent Robertson wrote:

I like it too, Craig. What do you think about my idea of putting a filter in the line from the tank to the pump? A couple of valves would make it easy to change and with good water in the tank it shouldn't need changing often? Any idea how much water is moved by that pump? Would turn over the tank water pretty frequently, I think. You'd have to put the intake very low (is the tank flat or does it have a shape like the hull?) to keep it from sucking air when underway.
Kent

A perfect solution that I'll be switching to.

Craig Briggs, in FL while
s/v Sangaris SN#68 is in Didim, Turkey
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.