Re: New main sail sm2k

Dennis,

We have ordered new Genoa, Main & Mizzen sails made from Radial Hydranet from QSails in Izmir, Turkey. I believe the main differences between Hydranet and Dacron is the shape-holding capabilities of Hydranet vs Dacron. I believe that Dacron will last as long as Hydranet, but believe that a noticeable loss of performance will begin at about 3 years with Dacron stretching, while it will likely not occur at all with Hydranet over the life of the fabric...probably at least 10 years.

I met with Tahsin Oge, the QSail owner, twice...once on our boat and once at his loft in Izmir and exchanged 20 or so emails and phone calls. He has been in the sail manufacturing for about 25 years. I was very impressed with his knowledge, his staff and his facility & equipment.

QSails is also a Selden, Nirvana and Furlex distributor for Turkey and the international manufacturer of Hood Sails.

At this point we are very, very impressed with QSails. When the sails are delivered next year I will report back with more information.

QSAILS
10040 Sk. No:22 A.O.S.B Çigli-Izmir/Turkey
Tel : +90 (232) 328 16 29
Tel : +90 (232) 328 16 30
Fax : +90 (232) 328 17 12
E-mail: qsails"at"qsails.com
Website is http://www.qsails.com/yeni/default.asp

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
BeBe is currently in Fethiye, Turkey, Crew is in Houston, Texas

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "dennis" wrote:

I need to replace the mainsail on my 2003 sm2k. I would welcome advice on the best material, the weight ( in ounces) and the cut. All views would be most welcome. Happy Sails. Dennis SM408