Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] help with steering

asm283 <no_reply@...>

I agree Alex

I would definatly not want just the autopilot as my only means of
steering. Do you know if the rod can be removed form the cable and be
repaired or replaced?

Thanks

Vito

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "Alejandro Paquin"
<alex.paquin@u...> wrote:
Eric:
Unless the existing damage makes it impossible to use the second
cable, I would not advise putting the full strain of the rudder on
the autipilot alone: what if the autopilot fails or disengages? You
would have no way of steering the boat and would force you to
depend
only on the emergency tiller.

Alex
s/v Simpatico

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, asm283 <no_reply@y...>
wrote:
Hi Eric

Thanks for the information. Yes I can disconnect the steering and
go
by autopilot. I will do that if I have to but I would rather
relace
or repair the bent rod if possible. I also think that one rod
will
steer al least on a temporary basis. Any ideas on replacing this
rod
would be helpfull.

Vito

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, kimberlite
<kimberlite@o...>
wrote:
Vito,

Can you disconnect the steering cables and steer just using the
autopilot
mounted to the rudder post?

You can also rig the emergency tiller to get to a safer island.

I am glad to hear you made it.

Fairer winds,

Eric

Kimberlite